Friday 31 July 2015

A final farewell!

As our visit to Romania is coming to an end, we aren't particularly looking forward to writing these lines. Our last full day was spent at Pipera, where we sorted out paper work, were given references and made it into the "Book of Honour". After a large number of photographs in uniform (yes suit and tie in nearly 40 degree heat aswell as Niall's rather tight year 9trousers) we enjoyed our final moments with the kids and staff. 
In the evening we were treated to yet another meal at one of Mr Mischie's restaurants with the families and our staff. Once again the food was wonderful and the company even better. We were even fortunate to get a guided tour round the kitchen by Daniel Mischie himself!

After this, followed some frantic packing and a last night in Bucharest. In the morning we returned to breakfast at school, had a few tearful farewells before going to the airport for our journey home. 




We would now like to individually thank everyone...

Matthew:
Well, I can quite honestly say my time in Bucharest has been the high point of my life! The country, culture and most importantly the people have been truly amazing, and some of the friends I have made will remain friends for a very long time! It has been a privilege and an honour, and I cannot sing the praises of Romania and her people enough! One quickly runs out of overused clichés and positive adjectives!
An enormous thank you to Scarborough College and The Olga Gudynn International School, as well as special thanks to Nana Osman (despite her bloody accent), Cristina Binciu (for everything), and the wonderful Tigau family; Nicoleta, Florin, David and Olivia.
Multumesc, La revedere și noroc!

Niall:
I've sat down to try and write this many times, but I fail. No matter what I write I can't seem to do it justice. I won't write Romania was a utopia, because it wasn't. I wont write it was a paradise and everything was perfect, because it wasn't. But I will write I loved every single moment good or bad, because I did. However the only bad moment I can recall is calming down a over-hyped 6 year old angry I beat him at arm wrestling, but that was just part of the job (to deal with being the kid, not to beat the kids at arm wrestling).
Arriving in Romania I had no idea what to expect, it was a complete step beyond, but as soon as I was greeted by my lovely host family at the airport - I knew everything would be fine. In between then and now, I've experienced a blond Robby Williams in a kilt, the poshest Tripe soup you could imagine and a cheeky swig of Palinka. And I can honestly say this experience has changed my understanding of the world, never before would I have imagined going to Romania, or have imagined it being one of the best times of my life, but it was. And even though it is true, there are horse and carts and depressing Ceausecu built tower blocks - it all adds to the intriguing aesthetics of the country. A unique culture and ethos which can only be understood after a traditional midnight swim followed by mango ice cream, watermelon and Ursus. A culture which is carried on throughout the turbulent ages by the proud Romanian people. Some of whom I have the privilege to call my friends and all of whom were some of the best, truest and lovely people I had ever met. I can't thank them, my host family included, and Olga Gudynn enough. Olga Gudynn has excellent facilities and staff - the best I've ever seen, and it created a unique atmosphere which mixed education and fun. I know I had a lot of fun, and learnt a lot along the way, to use a well know phrase, not only did I teach them, but we learnt together.
I can honestly say just like any trip, Romania would just be a place without the people. The people made the trip what it was, not the nice food or cheap beer (50 cents), but I'm sure that helped. So, without writing a 1000 different ways to say thank you, thank you to Olga Gudynn, Dana, Nana, Cristina, the entire Radoi family, Robbie WIlliams, Emil, all the staff at the school and last but not least, the kids. 
I hope you don't think less of us English now that you've seen beyond the tea and bad teeth. 
I'll be back soon. 
Lots of love, 
Niall.

Ellie:
Now being sat back in cold and rainy Scarborough, I've had some time to reflect on my two weeks in Romania. We arrived in Romania on the 15th and I had no idea how the experience would turn out or what to expect, however by the time the first evening was complete I knew my time in Romania was going to be special. And it has been.
It's quite difficult to put into words and explain to those who weren't part of the trip quite how welcoming and how at home the families and teachers from Olga Gudynn made the four of us feel and for that I can't thank them enough. 
The Mischie family who I stayed with had to have been some of the kindest people I've ever met, I was told by many people how lucky I was to be staying with them, and I really was. It's crazy how in two weeks strangers can become hopefully life long friends. 
I'd also like to thank the teachers from the school Floreasca who helped and supported me through out my days there, and also allowed me to get fully involved in school life which has given me many new experiences and skills that I'll use again. 
The teachers Dana, Cristina and Nana deserve a special mention for looking after us and doing all they could to make sure we were happy and comfortable. 
It's difficult to to know what to say other than thank you so much to everyone who was involved, especially Hanna, Niall and Matthew, whose completely different personalities among other things made sure that our time together was far from dull. I know that I'll remember all the memories we've created together for a long time and find myself laughing about them, especially our first lunch time together, you three will know what I mean! 
Hope to see you again soon Bucharest!

Hanna:

Reflecting on my time in Bucharest simply makes me happy. One cannot sum up the special memories that I was fortunate enough to make. The four of us weren't quite sure how this trip would turn out to be, but I can honestly say it went beyond everything I could have imagined. Not only did I get to know the beautiful culture and landscape of this amazing country, I also made friendships that will hopefully last way beyond this trip. These friendships do not only include my Romanian friends, but also Matthew, Niall and Ellie without whom this trip would have only been half as entertaining. 
To sum up my time I have to quote Niall: "I've seen a blond Robbie Williams in a kilt", but also I have been to a traditional wedding and christening, seen Dracula's castle in Transylvania, been inside the second largest building in the world and have been spat on with jogurt by some 3 year old kids in school. This experience has been anything but a routine list! I doubt I will be able to fully get the memories across, as there are simply too many. This exchange programme has to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I would like to thank everyone involved! First of all to Olga Gudynn, who in my opinion has established one of the greatest schools I have visited, where you are allowed to call your teacher by their first name, beacuse in the end of the day they are your friends, Mrs Nixon and Zoe Harrison, who picked the four of us and made all this possible, the OSA for funding each of us and of course the amazing staff in Bucharest. Special mention goes to Christina, Nana and Dana. I can truly call all of them my friends, as all three of them always looked out for us, they tried to show us the most of their beautiful culture and made our visit unforgettable! Another massive thank you goes to the Tigau family, who hosted Matthew and me, they must have been some of the loveliest people I have ever met. Not only did they let us stay with them, they tried their very best to make our time a special one. They certainly succeeded! 
I could probably keep writing for another hour trying to grasp the feeling I have when thinking about this trip, but there has to be an ending. One final thing I would like to say to anyone who reads this though is: The friendship between Romania, England and Germany will remain for a long time and I already cannot wait for our reunion!
I will see you guys very soon, stay in touch!
Lots of Love 
Hanna 

No comments:

Post a Comment